M&S All Butter:
- Nice buttery pastry, but a touch thick which makes it a little dry.
- Filling also quite tasty, although not very boozy but mostly full. Quite a nice citrus tang.
- Look nice, but not overkill.
- Jonny’s review: “Tastes like a piss-soaked shoe rolled in sand and toasted”
Tesco finest allbutter with Courvoisier VS Cognac:
- Nice tasty buttery pastry. Crunchy on top but not too thick on the sides.
- Filling is nice. Doesn’t scream alcohol, but it’s a nice flavour, not overpowering but nicely tangy. Quite soft fruit.
- Nice festive look.
- Jonny’s review: “Tastes like a horses toenail left out overnight on a nightclub toilet”
Asda Mince Pies
- Thin and crumbly pastry, but not overly flavourful. Actually breaks apart a bit, so in danger of losing it.
- Filling is a little stodgy, no real definition in the fruit. It’s well filled, just not that punchy a flavour.
- Looks a bit naff with broken edges and slightly burnt appearance.
- Jonny’s review: “Tastes like a car accident”
Morrisons Mince Pies
- Pastry quite tasty, but soggy bottom. However it holds together well.
- Filling is fine, not too punchy but not really adding anything exciting either. Only 2/3 full, and had a few chewy bits.
- Slightly tatty appearance, not a consistent colour.
- Jonny’s review: “Tastes like a vegan’s soul”
Waitrose Butter Enriched Shortcrust
- Nice thin pastry, a little bit crumbly so falls apart a bit in your hand (not excessively), but very tasty.
- Filling was full (although not that deep a pie in general and very nice mince meat. Not boozy but full of flavour and definition.
- Fairly simple appearance, not entirely in one piece but that might have been bad luck and had been bashed around.
- Jonny’s review: “Tastes like a damp basement”
Sainsbury’s Deep Filled
- Pastry nice and thin, fairly tasty, but not overly buttery. It has a good consistency so doesn’t fall apart.
- Filling wasn’t deep filled a suggested, and not the best on test. It was flavoursome but not exactly tangy or particularly punchy.
- Appearance was good. Nicely decorated with a good golden brown colour.
- Jonny’s review: “0/10”